The Next Dimension.
April 1, 2015 @ 6:50 pm
I originally came up with the title of this record around the winter of 2013 I believe in Nov/Dec. It hit me out of nowhere honestly it just popped in my head. “The Next Dimension” I liked it and it was applicable on multiple levels. It was the follow up album to my debut “The Music Before” so it seemed right that this record naturally picked up where that one left off. Also, it showed the growth and change in my musical ideas as well as lack of desire to prove I could play decently. The main difference between the two albums personally is how the songs came to me. This new album is less unsaid romantic feelings and heartbreak but more happy random feelings. There is very little verbose musical voicing (in my opinion) as opposed to the last project. I chose instead to focus more on harmonies and more imaginative concepts. I want to now give you a breakdown of some songs individually in order to give you more insight on the creative and selection process.
1. Head Rush- Now this is the opening track. I feel it sets the mood of the album and gives you an idea of what’s to come more or less. It’s like being in a spacecraft taking off and going through different wormholes. (More of a ride for your senses and rhymic based than musically vociferous.) I began working on this song in 2012 I chose to leave it off of my first album because I felt it wasn’t a good fit.
2. Flashback- This song actually took about 5 years to complete. The first concept came in 2009. I made several versions of this song until I ended up with the finished version in 2014. I’m glad I waited and kept at it until I was satisfied.
3. Stay- As you will see there is a recurring theme with some of the origins of the songs… they are old. This first came to me when I was 16 years old. It was just a few chords with a melody and I chose to keep it that way. I just expanded it. The idea for the old phonogram sounds came in 2008 and I just didn’t want to release it on my last project.
4. All for You- There isn’t much history with this track. I was messing around and came up with it.
5. Blossom- This song was something I thought I would release on my last album but in the end I didn’t. It has the feel of the last album to me, but I still like the song.
6. The Vow- This is one of the ballad style pieces. I had some feelings for someone I knew weren’t real so I just sat down and played and this was the end result.
7. Under the Moonlight- I just think this is such a chill song. I like the spacey feel it has in the background. It takes me places.
8. The Last Dance- This is one of my favorite songs that I’ve made. It has such energy to it. I played the voicing in one take. I actually came up with the album title and artwork after I made this song in 2013.
9. After the Rain- This is another solo piece of mine. I can’t remember how this song came to be but I had to perfect it over the course of a few years.
10. Heaven- This is another one of my favorites. I started this track in 2011-2012. I did the voicing in one take back in 2013 and never messed with it again.
11. The Next Dimension- This started as a feeling and then ended up the anthem. I love this song it’s one of the more adventurous songs. I feel it’s the perfect way to end the record.
I’m proud to finally release this project. Thanks for being on this musical journey with me!